EDMONTON SLIP AND FALL LAWYERS
Slip and fall injuries are a common cause of injury in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 8 million people visit the emergency room each year due to falls. Of those, approximately 800,000 are hospitalized due to a fall. Slip and falls account for approximately 12 percent of all falls and are the leading cause of injury–related death among older adults. In addition, slip and falls account for more than 1 million visits to the doctor each year. The average cost of a slip and fall injury is estimated to be around $30,000, with the total cost of slip and fall injuries to the U.S. economy estimated to be around $70 billion.
Slip and fall injuries can range from minor scrapes and bruises to broken bones, head trauma, and even death. Property owners have a duty to maintain their property in a reasonably safe condition for visitors. When they fail to do so, they may be liable for any injuries that occur as a result of their negligence. Slip and fall cases can be complex and require an experienced personal injury lawyers to evaluate the facts and circumstances of the incident in order to determine whether or not the property owner was negligent
What Causes Slips and Falls? The Top 7 Contributing Factors That You Must Be Aware Of
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere, from public sidewalks to private property, and can be caused by a variety of factors.
And it is important to be aware of them so you can take steps to prevent an accident from happening. Here are the top seven contributing factors:
1. POOR LIGHTING
Poor lighting is often cited as a contributing factor. This is particularly true in stairwells, parking lots, and other areas where there is a lack of natural light. If you’re going to be in an area that is poorly lit, be sure to take extra care to watch your step.
2. WET SURFACES
Wet surfaces are another common cause. Water on the floor can come from a number of sources, including spills, leaks, condensation, and tracked in from outside. Whenever possible, try to avoid walking on wet surfaces. If you must walk on a wet surface, be sure to walk slowly and carefully.
3. LOOSE RUGS OR CARPETS
Loose rugs or carpets can be a trip hazard and can also contribute to accidents. Be sure to secure all rugs and carpets with non–slip pads or tape, and avoid walking on them if possible.
4. UNEVEN SURFACES
5. CLUTTERED FLOORS
What To Do After A Fall Injury?
After a slip and fall injury, it is important to take the following steps:
1. Seek medical attention: It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after a slip and fall injury. Even if you do not think the injury is serious, you should still have it evaluated by a medical professional to ensure that it is not more severe than you thought.
2. Document the incident: It is important to document the incident as soon as possible. Take pictures of the area where you fell, the shoes you were wearing, and any other details that may be relevant. Keep a record of all medical expenses related to the injury.
3. Contact an attorney: If you believe that your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced slip and fall attorney can help you determine whether you have a valid legal claim and can fight for your rights.
4. Follow your doctor’s instructions: It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions for recovery. Make sure to attend all follow-up appointments and do any physical therapy or rehabilitation required.
5. File an insurance claim: If you believe that your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, you should contact their insurance company and file a claim for compensation. A slip and fall lawyer in Edmonton can help you with this process.
6. Consider a settlement: You may be able to settle your claim with the other party’s insurance company. An experienced slip and fall attorney in Edmonton can help you determine whether a settlement offer is fair and can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
What Affects the Size of Slip and Fall Settlements?
Type and Severity of InjuriesIf you have suffered severe injuries in your slip and fall accident, you can expect a larger settlement. Your medical expenses will be higher, and you may also be entitled to what you can expect.
Liable PartyAnother factor that will affect the size of your slip and fall settlement is who is at fault for the accident. For example, if the property owner was negligent in maintaining the premises, then you may be able to recover punitive damages.
JurisdictionThe province or country where your accident occurred will also play a role in determining the size of your slip and fall settlement. For example, some provinces have laws that cap damages awards, which means you may not be able to recover as much money as you would in another province.
EvidenceTo strengthen your case, evidence is crucial for proper compensation and defense. However, some evidence might disappear within minutes, such as spilled liquids. Another example would be witnesses who immediately left after the scene. This is why it is important to have an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer on your side.
Tips to Prevent Slips & Falls
You can take steps to help prevent slip and fall accidents, both at home and at work. Here are some tips:
Wear Proper FootwearMake sure your shoes or boots have good traction to help prevent slipping on wet or icy surfaces.
Be CautiousUse caution when walking on stairs, escalators, or uneven surfaces. You should hold onto handrails whenever possible.
Obstacle RemovalRemove obstacles from walkways. Keep floors clean and free of clutter. In the winter, make sure sidewalks and driveways are clear of ice and snow.
Use Caution When Carrying ObjectsIf you need to carry something while walking, make sure you have a good grip on it and watch where you’re going. Be especially careful with hot liquids or fragile items that could spill or break if dropped.
Be Aware of Your SurroundingsPay attention to potential hazards, such as spills.
Get Ahold of Our Slip and Fall Attorneys in Edmonton
First-time injury victims may not know how to find a good slip and fall lawyer. We hope this article has provided some tips on what to look for when choosing a personal injury lawyer and what kinds of cases they deal with.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it is crucial to contact an attorney as soon as possible so they can investigate the case. The sooner an attorney starts working on your case, the better chance you receive a fair settlement. You should contact Edmonton’s Personal Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Slip and fall cases can be time-consuming and expensive, so it is crucial to ensure that you have a strong case before proceeding. Many slip and fall cases are settled out of court, so it is essential to discuss your case with a slip and fall accident lawyer to see if a settlement is possible.
In many cases, businesses will offer settlements to avoid going to court. However, slip and fall accident lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to a slip and fall accident lawyer today.